Sunday, October 12, 2008

What Makes Hot Cyclists Hot?


What Makes Hot Cyclists Hot?

So, I’ve been thinking. What makes hot cyclists hot? Is it their tight lycra-clad bods? Their be-mulleted hair tufting out of helmet-holes? Their nut-brown limbs in contrast to their pasty-white chests? Their slinky bibshorts glimpsed when they’re cycling like they mean it up mountains? Or is it the fact that their legs – and arms, and faces, and chests - are smoother than yours?

Personally, it’s the shaved legs that do it for me. It just looks so carpetburn-free, and it speaks volumes for how far cyclists are in the cycling world – the less hair, the better the cyclist. Which is why Frank and Andy are so bald. And I’m just such a sucker for the mental image of Andy bent over with Gillette in hand, shaving cream at the ready and his leg up on the bathtub. Hot. See photo for Andy's look of concentration that would surely extend to his trusty Gillette.

But then, I also like the Cyclists’ Tan a fair bit. The way their Hawaiian Sunset legs give way to blinding porcelain thighs in a definitive cut-off point. I’m a special fan of the Helmet Strap Tan; the line of nylon that cuts through the Egyptian Bronze below the jaw and above the neck. As exhibited by sexy Austrian Bernie Kohlmaster. Look to see what a beauty he possesses.


And oh the bibshorts. They say clothes maketh the man. And they couldn’t be more right. In particular, bibshorts maketh the man. There’s nothing more swoon-worthy than the sight of nude-coloured bibshort straps glimpsed between the flapping jersey-tails of a cyclist while he’s working hard up a mountain. And bibshorts are such a dinky invention because not only do they look hot, they also keep their bikeshorts up. Genius.


This leads us on to the lycra-clad bodies. There are two categories for this and I’m a fan of both:

1. The Fabster Cancellara.

2. The Schleck Bruvvies.

The Fabster obviously represents the Not Quite So Scrawny category. He just manages to bypass the Scrawny Cyclist Tag with his beefcake shoulders and v8 thighs. All slathered firmly with CSC-themed lycra. One could say he looks quite good in it.

The deliciously skinny Schleck Bruvvies represent the Quite Scrawny category. The sign of a good climber is the fact that there isn’t much sign of them – they’re barely there. Sure, the Bruvvie’s BMIs might be 6-8 points off 19, but who even notices when their faces are so pretty? And their tight CSC-themed lycra emphasizes their climber’s muscles (so well shaved and tanned, I might add) rather than their bones, so all’s fair in love and war.

The difference between The Fabster Cancellara and The Rest (we'll leave Frank out of this one) is clear. He's certainly in the Not Quite So Scrawny category. The two little dudes either side certainly are not. Which isn't to say either one is better, because a Hot Cyclist is a Hot Cyclist, no matter what the body size, type of bibshorts, colour of the Cyclists' Tan, or size of the mullet. This is what I think makes a Hot Cyclist Hot. Not even the shaved arms, legs and chests can take away a Hot Cyclist's Hotness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree on all hotness counts for Fabian

Nic80 said...

I like to think that it all has to do with style. Cyclists are incredibly stylish individuals. They're wearing lycra, it is innately ridiculous-looking on anyone else, yet they are so hot. Gotta wear your lycra with style.

Rina said...

Hi Rose.. Rina from the other blogs here.. Just noticed your blog, and already I can say its great blog you have!
Its nice to meet other Schleck fans :-)

An unlikely survivor said...

just a random thought

I think mullets are going away in pro cycling. I am seeing less and less of the mullet in my cycling forays.

Rose said...

Yeah I noticed that, Maggie... sad.

But the hairstyles are still borderline. I'd class Andy's, Frank's and Fabian's as borderline mullet, with plenty of Helmet Tuft (it's in any photo of them cycling, more or less), so I thought, what the hell. I'll just call them all mullets, whether they're close or not.

Thanks Rina! I'm glad you like my blog. And yeah it's great to meet other Schleck fans - I don't meet ANY where I'm from, so this is certainly my kind of place :D.

Bridget said...

I love Andy, Frank and Fabian's hair! I agree with the borderline mullet and I'm definitely a fan of helmet tuft.

I know what you mean about hardly any Schleck fans down under... Whenever I mention cycling, people are sort of like "So did Lance Armstrong race?" Bleh. These blogs are my lifesavers :D

Rina said...

You welcome, blogs is kind of place to be lol :-)